To all oral health professionals in British Columbia:
The notice period for the proposed BC College of Oral Health Professionals (BCCOHP) Bylaws ended on July 27, 2022. The First Board has now approved the proposed bylaws and further revisions. Changes were made to refine the proposed bylaws, some of which include:
- Clarified liability insurance for oral health professionals
- Renamed “Patient Relations Committee” to “Patient-Centred Care Committee”
- Adjusted the fee schedules
BCCOHP will be seeking a shortened notice period for the revised bylaws which will run for over two weeks, ending on August 17. The new bylaws will take effect on September 1, 2022. Revisions to the proposed bylaws are identified in the red-lined document linked below. Below are two themes from comments received to-date and some further details:
- Theme #1: Quality assurance program for dental hygienists
- Harmonization of the quality assurance program and other individual requirements will be a priority after September 1, 2022.
- Theme #2: Having a dedicated board position for dentists
- The composition of the board has not changed in the revised bylaws; a dentist board member has two opportunities to be elected to the Board.
The amalgamation partner colleges are the College of Dental Hygienists of BC, the College of Dental Technicians of BC, the College of Dental Surgeons of BC, and the College of Denturists of BC. The proposed bylaws set out how BCCOHP will be structured and governed, how it will uphold its legal mandate to protect patients and the public, and the regulatory requirements for the 16,000 oral health professionals BCCOHP will regulate.
- View the clean version of the revised proposed bylaws
- View the red-lined version of the revised proposed bylaws (outlines changes from the April 26, 2022 version)
- View the red-lined version of the revised bylaw schedules
- View the clean version of the revised bylaw schedules
- View the companion document that includes highlights of the proposed bylaws
How to submit comment
Thank you to everyone who submitted comments during the first notice period. We are unable to provide individual responses or additional interpretation beyond what is in the companion document, however, we will continue to gather common themes for consideration.
Comments on the proposed bylaws for the new oral health college can be submitted by August 17 in the following ways:
|Oral Health Amalgamation Project||Professional Regulation and Oversight BC Ministry of Health|
|Please provide the name and/or number of the bylaw part or section that you are responding to.|
|Complete our feedback form (preferred) or email firstname.lastname@example.org||Complete the Ministry of Health’s feedback form or email the Director, Regulatory Initiatives, Professional Regulation & Oversight Branch at PROREGADMIN@gov.bc.ca|
Please feel free to share this link with anyone else you think would appreciate the opportunity to review the proposed bylaws before they are finalized.